Tips for Dispensing Tangible Hydra-PEG Coated Lenses
With Tangible® Hydra-PEG® becoming the new standard of care for corneal and scleral GP lenses, as well as Hybrid lenses, it is important that we share some tips for office dispensing and recommended care. These best practices can be used for staff training and for talking points with patients who are wearing coated lenses.
Before Dispensing Tangible Hydra-PEG Lenses to Patients
GP lenses coated with Tangible Hydra-PEG should not require cleaning before dispensing to the patient. The lenses are coated, clean and ready for the patient to apply upon delivery. In rare situations, such as when a patient is sensitive to the multi-purpose solution in which the lenses are shipped, clean and rinse the lenses with a compatible solution or with sterile saline before dispensing to the patient. Cleaning with incompatible cleaners may damage the coating and reduce the comfort and deposit resistance of the lenses before the patient even puts them in their eyes. For more information on which solutions are being used to store and ship the lenses to you contact the lens Manufacturer. .
Recommended Contact Lens Cleaning Solutions
While ordinary GP lenses may require extra-strength cleaners if deposits are present, this is typically NOT the case with coated lenses. The coating makes the lenses inherently resistant to deposits and fogging making “extra-strength” cleaners unnecessary. In fact, alcohol-based and abrasive cleaners, enzymatics, or solutions using the brand name Progent® may damage and prematurely wear away the coating, reducing its benefits – these should NOT be used with coated lenses.
The viscosity, or thickness, of the cleaning solution can also be an important factor. Thick cleaning solutions can sometimes cling to a contact lens, creating foggy vision upon insertion, and even irritate sensitive eyes.
Cleaning regimens for GP lenses can be expensive. By using several cleaning, disinfecting, protein removal and conditioning products along with rewetting drops throughout the day, the care regimen can add up. This can be one of the reasons we see patients unable or unwilling to be compliant.
THE Recommended Cleaning Solution for Tangible Hydra-PEG
There are many cleaning and disinfecting solutions available for GP lenses, so it may not be obvious which one is right to use with coated lenses. Because of this, we’ve made it easy! Tangible Clean, the ideal cleaning and disinfecting solution for lenses coated with Tangible Hydra-PEG, is now available. Here’s what you should know about the new solution:
- Tangible Clean is an ultra-thin contact lens cleaner that gives you a more refreshing cleaning experience. Using a lower viscosity solution like Tangible Clean also means less irritating preservatives sticking to the surface of your lens. This means more comfort, and less irritation for you.
- While the Tangible Hydra-PEG coating is already resistant to deposits, Tangible Clean does remove protein deposits and reduce lipid deposition for patients that are heavy depositors.
- Tangible Clean comes in a LARGE 12oz bottle, which means you pay less per fl oz and save time on reordering contact lens cleaning solution.
- Tangible Clean can be used to clean, rinse, disinfect, condition, and store your contact lenses. No need for multiple solutions, drops, or cleaners complicating your care routine.
- REMINDER: Hybrid lenses coated with Tangible Hydra-PEG should only be cared for with Tangible Clean or Clear Care only. GP specific solutions, even those compatible with Tangible Hydra-PEG, are not approved for the soft skirt of a hybrid lens.
Recommend Tangible Boost monthly to restore the Tangible Hydra-PEG coating
This year we launched our brand new monthly conditioning solution for Tangible Hydra-PEG coated lenses: Tangible Boost. Tangible Boost is a monthly solution that restores the Tangible Hydra-PEG coating, ensuring that you experience the benefits of Tangible Hydra-PEG for the entire lifetime of their lenses. This helps combat normal wear and tear, and gives peace of mind knowing their lenses are performing their best. Tangible Boost is only for Rigid Gas Permeable contact lenses, and is not approved for use with Hybrid contact lenses.
For more information on how to offer Tangible Clean and Tangible Boost directly to your patients, please register for an active wholesale account: https://tangiblescience.com/pages/wholesale-register