Cleaning Tips for Tangible Hydra-PEG Coated Lenses
Tangible® Hydra-PEG® coated lenses are a new innovation, and we have heard from some eye care professionals who are confused about the best way to clean them and the right solution to use. In this post, we will clarify the cleaning regimen and correct any misperceptions.
Before Dispensing Tangible Hydra-PEG Lenses to Patients
Unlike uncoated lenses, GP lenses coated with Tangible Hydra-PEG should not require cleaning before dispensing to the patient. The lenses are coated, clean and ready for the patient upon delivery. In rare situations, such as when a patient is sensitive to the multi-purpose solution in which the lenses are shipped, only clean with a compatible solution or rinse with sterile saline. Cleaning with incompatible cleaners may damage the coating and reduce the comfort and deposit- and fog-resistance of the lenses before the patient even puts them on their eyes.
Recommended Cleaning Solutions for Tangible Hydra-PEG Lenses
While ordinary GP lenses may require extra-strength cleaners if deposits are present, this is typically not the case with coated lenses. The coating makes the lenses inherently resistant to deposits and fogging, so the same strength is not necessary. In fact, alcohol-based, abrasive, enzymatic, or solutions using the brand name Progent® may actually damage and prematurely wear away the coating, reducing its benefits – they should not be used with coated lenses.
The viscosity of the cleaning solution can also be an important factor. Thick cleaning solutions can sometimes cling to a contact lens, creating foggy vision upon insertion, and irritating sensitive eyes.
Cleaning regimens for GP lenses can also get expensive for some patients. By using several cleaning, disinfecting, protein removal and conditioning products, sometimes multiple times a day, and rewetting drops throughout the day for comfort, the care regimen can add up. And we wonder why some patients aren’t compliant!
THE Recommended solution for Tangible Hydra-PEG: Tangible Clean
Because there are many cleaning and disinfecting solutions available, it may not be obvious which one has the right properties for coated lenses. Because of that, we’ve made it easy. Tangible Clean, the ideal cleaning and disinfecting solution for lenses coated in Tangible Hydra-PEG, is now available. Here’s what you should know about the new solution:
- It simplifies care for coated lenses for cleaning, conditioning, disinfecting, rinsing and storing. Finally, you know what solution to recommend and use for coated lenses!
- It is thinner than other solutions and rinses off easily, potentially avoiding problems associated with thick solutions that can remain on the lenses.
- While the Tangible Hydra-PEG coating is already resistant to deposits, Tangible Clean does remove protein deposits and reduce lipid deposition for patients that are heavy depositors.
- There is more solution in the same sized bottle compared to other brands, making it a good value for patients.
- It is available for patient purchase online at tangiblescience.com, with subscription options available, making it quick and easy for patients to reorder at home.
- Because the coating itself resists deposits and fogging and improves comfort throughout the day, some patients may be able to reduce their need for cleanings and rewetting drops during the day, thereby reducing the number of products and amount of solution they use. This can reduce the cost of care and make cleaning less of a hassle for patients.
Later this year we will be adding another new product to our line-up – Tangible® Boost – a monthly, at-home treatment that actually rebuilds coating that may be affected by wear over time from a patient’s tear composition, or incorrect care or storage. The three products used together will ensure the coating’s benefits last the lifetime of the GP lenses.
A Final Word
Reviewing the complete care tips for coated lenses with your patients when delivering their lenses will help to protect the coating and ensure your patients enjoy long-lasting comfort and freedom from deposits and fogging.
We hope you find that Tangible Clean helps to simplify cleaning Tangible Hydra-PEG lenses. If you have further questions or would like to share your thoughts about Tangible Hydra-PEG or Tangible Clean, please contact us.